History of the Day – 07 April 1923

On this day 07 April 1923.

Liam, Frank Aiken and Sean Hyde left Pierre Wall’s in the Nire Valley and walked to Ormond’s of Glasha, Ballymacarbry. They went via Knocklisheen and kept high above the main Clonmel Dungarvan road. At Ormond’s they were joined by Sean Hayes, Bill Quirke and Jack O’Meara.

Ormond’s of Glasha was a safe house in both the War of Independence and the Civil War. The head of house was widowed, Bridget Ormond. She had four daughters and a stepson. All four daughters were active in Cuman na mBan, With Nan Ormond (Hourigan) being particular active in couriering messages, organising transport, medical supplies and catering for men billeted in Glasha.

Her sister Bridget Ormond (Desmond) warned Lynch that the Free State were aware he was in the area and were preparing to comb the area. She had learned this from intelligence she received when she attended mass on the 7th. Lynch assured her not to worry he was capable of taking care of himself.

The attached photo is a painting by Dolores Lyne and part of the her art exhibition in Fermoy. Liam Lynch: To the Letter: Exhibition by Dolores Lyne